Tuesday 12 March 2013

Final module jitters

Well, we come to the end of another year... My last year as i am not staying for the third year top up.

The aim of this module is to gather all my work over the last year and a half to organise a portfolio.
This is also a chance to re-do a lot of the final pieces that i have been unhappy with which, for me, is moat of them. Up until this point i haven't had the skills to do any of my work any real justice.

First up is a project from last year that i was really unhappy with. A live brief from penguin books, a competition to design the cover for the Brothers Grimms' fairy tales.

I spent the whole time painting an illustration for the cover and left my actual cover till too late to do it justice. It was aweful. I would post it but not even my hard drive wanted to be reminded of it apparently :p

Anyway, I have used the skills that i have picked up over the last few months to completely redesign the cover. I used my painting as a guide (i will find the painting and post it soon) and completed the design in Illustrator, using Photoshop to add texture as the design was looking awefully flat.

Here is the completed design, I'm not sure about the font so may change that but it will not be too much of a change.

For once, I am actually pretty happy with the outcome. It actually looks like it could be used.

As an aside, i just noticed a mistake in the vector art. I'm not going to say what it is as i don't want to draw attention to it lol.


I know she doesn't look right but i put so much effort into the original painting i was loath to redesign her...

Hopefully it is a suitable representation of the darkness inherrant in Grimm brothers stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment